Sunday 6 October 2019

Kofi Deserved Better


At Wrestlemania, Kofi Kingston became the first African-American to become WWE Champion by defeating Daniel Bryan. Whilst it only started due to Kofi replacing an injured Ali at the Elimination Chamber match, it led to an enjoyable storyline and a feel good moment. Kofi's reign since then has been relatively good but we all knew that it would eventually come to an end. My main worry was that he would lose it to someone like Randy Orton. What we got was far worse than that.

When Brock Lesnar made his first appearance on Smackdown in over 15 years and hit Kofi with a F-5, we all knew that Lesnar would win the WWE Championship at the next Pay-Per-View. Instead, we got their match on Smackdown this week. With the show making its premiere on FOX that day, I was wondering where the match would go. With it being 2 days before Hell in a Cell as well, I thought that it might lead to a no contest with the rematch happening on Sunday.

Instead, we got this:


I mean, what the fuck was that?! I'm not the biggest fan of 5-10 second squash matches (unless it's happening to Shane McMahon); especially for Championship matches. However, this was complete bullshit. I find it insane that with the show now on a major TV network in the US, that WWE would give the WWE Championship to a part timer. Then, former UFC fighter Cain Valasquez turns up in support of Rey Mysterio and beats up Lesnar. So, WWE decides to make their WWE Championship between two former UFC fighters: one a part timer and one who only started wrestling about a year ago. 

I feel sorry for Kofi as I think he's done pretty well since being Champion. Hopefully, he will get another Championship reign in the near future. For me, this whole thing is indicative of the problems I have with WWE. They pander too much to nostalgia and are happy for part timers to be their main Champions. Also, fans of shows like NXT are getting pretty annoyed of wrestlers getting called up and then getting treated pretty badly. I think out of all the NXT call ups in the last couple of years, I think that maybe Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura have been relatively successful. Hopefully, this rivalry with Lesnar and Valasquez won't last long and Lesnar doesn't have a long title reign. However, I think that WWE will do the complete opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment