Tuesday 5 July 2011

Have They Ruined a Great Storyline?

I know I said that I would start my blog by looking at the Money in the Bank contenders. However, Sheamus’ actions on Smackdown have made me wait to see how that develops this week before publishing my article. Also, with the CM Punk storyline dominating wrestling news at the minute, I’d be a fool to not comment on it. So, here it is, hope you enjoy it.

Until recently, I wasn’t a massive CM Punk fan. I didn’t hate the guy; in fact, there are only ever been two wrestlers that I hate (Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Ken Shamrock), I was just in the minority of people that didn’t get him. That changed at Capitol Punishment with his interview with Josh Mathews. I’ve heard that he is a great talker but I’ve not seen that many interviews by CM Punk. However, the way that he ended it, promising to do the most honest thing the WWE Universe has ever seen if he won his match, made me curious and made me start to kick myself over why I never got him before. He beats Mysterio in a great match and then, after beating Alberto Del Rio and Rey Mysterio the next night on RAW to become the No.1 contender, announces that not only is he leaving the WWE after Money in the Bank, but he’s taking the WWE Championship with him. I loved the idea of him taking the title and seeing how the company will react to that. Then he did possibly the best promo that I have ever seen the next week. It resulted in CM Punk being suspended and it made big news all over the internet and even in sections of the media in the States. I was loving it and I’m thinking that this could be one of the best storylines ever done. We know that CM Punk did something similar when he was leaving Ring of Honor for the WWE but this seems different. I can see the WWE having the balls to let CM Punk leave with the title and, playing fantasy booker for a minute, maybe have a tournament to determine a new WWE Champion then have CM Punk turn up saying that he’s the true champion and going from there. This could go in so many new directions and I was really being excited over how it would play out.

Unfortunately, a bit of my excitement died last night on RAW. Vince McMahon came out, explaining his decision and he did a great promo with Cena which resulted in Cena not wanting to be WWE Champion anymore and giving the title back to Vince. I’m thinking: “This is great!” and I would have been happy if the show ended there. But it didn’t. Vince storms up the ramp after Cena, gives him back the title and tells him that Cena vs Punk is back on (pissing off Alberto del Rio in the process but he’d get over it). What’s wrong with that, you ask? Well, this. Vince said that if Cena loses, that he’s fired (or has Vince would say “FFFIIIRRREEEDDD!!!!”)

Normally, I wouldn’t mind that. However, the Nexus (when they were decent) fired Cena at Survivor Series last year and that wasn’t done well by the WWE. They had Cena do his farewell address and then moments later interferes in a WWE title match between Orton and Barrett and then was attacking the Nexus and interfering in their matches, resulting in people, like me, thinking that Cena’s being a bit of a dick and increasing the number of Cena haters.

I can’t see Cena being fired twice in one year and that has ruined it for me. I still think it has the potential to be an amazing storyline. However, like any film or TV series, I wouldn’t enjoy it as much if I knew how it was going to end. Unfortunatley, with this storyline, I can see how it will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment